May 17 in Oslo & Gothenburg, SW (May)

Friday, September 17, 2010

Deep Thoughts - By Jack Handy

For those 'vintage' Saturday Night Live fans, you know what that (title) means.

These aren't actually 'Deep Thoughts', but more like random situations, observations and comments. (It's my blog...I can do what I want!!!) :oP

Norwegian Fashion
- All love to wear Chuck Taylor's, skinny jeans & a scarf around the neck.
- Men are fond of the 'Man Capri'.
- Tights with shorts should be a fashion faux pas (in my opinion), but some folks think otherwise!

Transportation
Electric cars are given many benefits, such as free public parking. I, however, failed to pay in a private lot and was fined 600k (aka $100)!!!

Learn How To Queue!
A New Zealander friend (who's married to a Norwegian) told us that Norwegians do not know how to stand in line. This was a real 'ah-ha' moment for us, as we could not understand why...
- You have to take a number whenever you need assistance - bank, post office, pharmacist, deli, etc.
- On public transportation, people stand right in front of the automatic doors and try to enter before anyone has a chance to exit. (UHHHH!!!)

Norwegians also do not move out of your way when passing through a narrow passage - and they get in your way when browsing through a clothing rack. It's annoying, but I'm learning to 'do unto others as they are doing to me'. (haha - I know that's not how the verse goes, but...)

Snokker du Engelsk?
In Norske, this means 'Do you speak English?' Luckily, everyone between the ages of 12-50 does! And many speak several other languages as well. We've made many new friends, who have lived - and are from - all over the world. It's humbling to learn how much more we are alike than different.

Good Eats
Norwegian... bread, jam, chocolate, butter, ice cream, cheese (not brown) & waffles. Surprisingly, they also make a tasty pizza. The local Lebanese make a delicious kebob & schawarma. And chili nuts are must have. They are peanuts coated with a bbq flavored, crunchy shell. It reminds me of a peanut wrapped in a bbq potato chip!

Bad Eats
Mackerel with tomato...Better yet, in a tube! Shrimp cream cheese...In a tube! Liver pate...Yep, in a tube! (They put a picture of a smiling child on the liver pate to make it seem more appealing!) I'm disgusted to say that David eats all of these!

IKEA
Even in the US, I love IKEA! However, I never understood the logic behind some of their items - such as ziplock baggies and batteries - amongst all the decor. I now realize that in Scandinavian countries, IKEA is the closest thing to Wal-mart. It's where people go to buy everything from plates to plants. And who doesn't love a store that provides free childcare while you shop? Brilliant!

Not on Sunday
Norway is known for being a non-religious country. However, everything is closed on Sunday and you're not supposed to do laundry or construction (aka - hang a picture) on Sunday. ???

Loppemarked - aka Flea Market
Autumn is the season for 'Loppemarked' in Norway. Local schools often host the market - with donations coming from the community and proceeds going to the school. The thing I find humorous about it is that the host school requests 'fleas'...'Many fleas', 'fat fleas' and 'fleaers'. After seeing the 'flea' requests, I Googled the history of the term to find the following. Hope you find as interesting as I. (FYI...'Many fleas' & 'fat fleas' = Lots of stuff. 'Fleaers' are the folks selling the 'fleas'.)

The origins of the term are disputed, but some liken buyers and sellers as being as active as fleas, or that the original people and goods were infested.

Mani/Pedi
Sorry ladies...It's not happening here! I have yet to see a nail salon (and my nails show it)! There may be a nail tech in one of the spas, but I know it would exceed my budget. Everything in Norway is expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment