May 17 in Oslo & Gothenburg, SW (May)

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Lost in Translation

First let me say, we speak almost no Norsk. Luckily, many Norwegians speak English.

Shortly after arriving, I went to the local grocery to buy soap. (FYI...This particular grocery is smaller than most US convenient stores!) I surveyed the liquid body wash, as I did not see any 'cake' soap available. My choices were Jergens for approx 25K and ASAN for appox 13K. I opted for the ASAN not only because it was cheaper, but it said 'Sensitive' on the label. I thought the sensitive would be nice because we could use it on JR, if needed. Prior to checking out, I asked the clerk - a young guy in his 20s - if what I was buying was 'body wash' and he said 'yes'.

When I arrived back to the flat, I noticed that the ASAN cost was actually 49K. I felt a little ripped off, but whatever. I guess the bottle had been placed on the wrong shelf. It must be some pretty good stuff!

When I used the wash, it didn't have much smell. It actually smelled kinda 'generic', like the shampoo you use to get chlorine out of your hair. I noted that I would not buy it again.

A couple of weeks later, I saw this odd commercial (in Norsk, of course). It flashed different female torsos, and in front of the 'private' area flashed different pieces of paper with a drawings of all the different ways you can shave/trim your pubes - -yes, pubic hair! I rewound the commercial (thank goodness for technology) and called David in to see.

Yes, our 'Sensitive' body wash was actually feminine wash. I imagine the young guy at the grocery must have thought I was some perverted (older) American broad trying to hit on him!

2 comments:

  1. Shannon,

    What fantastic pictures!! I know at the time it wasn't funny but I laughed so hard has you wrote about how you discovered your soap was not really soap but something quite different!!LOL!I am surprised it didn't smell good! It looks like you are settling in nicely to your very NEW environment! What a beautiful view you have from your apartment! I can't wait to hear all about your experiences. I think your blog is a great idea! I know if you decided to write a "Norway for Newbies" for all the Fulbright scholars who come after you they would LOVE you!! Especially those who have children! We wish you ALL the best and can't wait to see more pics and hear more funny stories. Congrats to David again and definitely look us up on Skype. I believe we are under Mark and Nicole Westmoreland but it will also come up "The Sackies" (hee hee)Skype us especially when you get lonely for SC and Gamecock Football Season!! I LOVED to see David wearing his Gamecock hat!! :) Keep in touch! Nicole :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a Norwegian brand of chap stick that's hard to find here. I was going to ask you to bring some back but after reading your post onto the body wash, I think I'll pass! Sounds like everything is an adventure over there! The only advice I can offer is the cans labeled "oil" are actually beer. You're on your own after that. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete